segunda-feira, 15 de fevereiro de 2016

BACK TO BLOGGING . SEW CHIC KIDS


Hi everyone! Are you still there? I hope you are…

I can’t believe I am blogging! Actually, I can’t believe I am blogging without a deadline or a commitment! But I am…

So I have been blogging a lot less but I must tell you I have been sewing a lot! This winter I have bought noting besides shoes and underwear for my kids and I am so happy about it. I love to see them wearing me made clothes and I feel good about not having to buy really cheap clothes that I don’t know how – and by whom – were made.

But that’s not all. I’ve been also busy sharing my passion for sewing as I have just started teaching at a couple of my local sewing shops. It has been the most wonderful experience and I hope I can keep doing it in the years to come. That leads me to the project I am sharing with you today since my first workshops were based on the book Happy Homemade: Sew Chick Kids…

 

 
PATTERN: View A from the book Happy Homemade: Sew Chick Kids by Ruriko Yamada. The original pattern is actually for a dress but, since the patterns in this book have all the same base, I mixed it with View C and created a tunic. I know it is a pain to add seam allowances on Japanese patterns but that’s also why they are so easy to mix and match and to customize according to our taste or idea. I think that’s actually one of the reason why I love them so much. As you can see, the pattern is perfect. It can be worn both in cooler days with a turtle neck unearned or on its own in sunny warmer days. The little opening at the back is quite tricky to make but the instructions are perfect and, with some patience, it isn’t that difficult to make. Besides that, all sewing steps are quite easy and the overall result is so cute! I think I might need to make many more for the summer time…



 
FABRIC: Flower printed denim chambray. I bought this fabric with my friend Ana Sofia at a local children’s store that was going out of business. (Thank you so much for the tip Rita!) It was a bargain and the quality is amazing.


 
Ines is also wearing a store bought turtle neck (got it last year!) and a pair of flared denim trousers I have designed. I actually need to blog about these trousers… I it a super simple pattern but I absolutely adore the way they fit. Plus, Ines loves how comfy they are.

Well, that’s all for now. I hope I will be back soon.

Meanwhile, you can what I have been making on my Instagram.

PS. Do you also like to sew with Japanese patterns? Well, Mie from the blog Sewing Like Mad has started a fun challenge for you: Sew Japan with Mie. Check it out at Celina’s blog Petit aPetit and Family!

18 comentários:

  1. Ahhh, I TOTALLY love this and that fabric is REALLY amazing!! This is a classic Japanese pattern in the very best sense. Now off to your IG to see what I have missed...I feel like it might be a lot, wah :-(
    And we definitely need to hear and see more of those pants!!!!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Thank you so much Mie! you're right, this pattern is what japanese sewing for kids is all about!
      Let's hope I have time to work on these pants one day...

      Eliminar
  2. This pattern is perfection! Looks Beautiful on that fabric. <3

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Tão bom ler um post teu!! O top é liiiindo! :-)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Obrigada Soraia! Espero arranjar ânimo e paciência para blogar mais nos próximos tempos...

      Eliminar
  4. I love this blouse. As I told you on IG, is in my wishlist for summer but in dress version. Your girl looks so cute in it!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Thank you so much Maria! The original pattern is actually for a dress and you should definitely make it as it will look gorgeous for sure. I might make it too...

      Eliminar
  5. Respostas
    1. Thank you Suz! Sewing classes have been so much fun. It is so great to share our love for sewing and for sewing with japanese patterns.

      Eliminar
  6. What a great top! Ines is growing up so much!

    That's a really great point about adding seam allowances. I think Japanese patterns really empowered me to be able to make other patterns my own because I finally had to force myself to take the time to understand garment construction. This top is so great!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. You're totally right Rachel! The way japanese sewing patterns are constructed is so logical it teaches you the way garments actually work. Maybe that's one of the reasons they are becoming so popular...

      Eliminar
  7. I love that pattern! I've made it as a dress but it looks so cute as a tunic as well and the fabric is adorable!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Thank you Maria João! Your blog and your creations are a great inspiration to me!

      Eliminar
  8. Love love that top on her (everything looks so amazing on your girls!!) <3
    I wish we could find more great stock-offs like that - the fabric were all amazing (I think we took the last bit of this fabric. It's even more beuatiful in real life)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Thank you Ana Sofia! You're right, we need to find more stuff like this. Such a great print and such nice quality fabric...

      Eliminar
  9. Teaching classes; how fun! I love this top. And the fabric is lovely. Can't wait to hear about those trousers ;)

    ResponderEliminar
  10. I love the blouse! I've had the same book for several years and I've only sewed boys garments. I really do not know why.... I absolutelly agree with you about kids clothes on stores and now my children are only wearing what I sew or second hand clothes.

    ResponderEliminar