terça-feira, 8 de julho de 2014

COSI SWIMSUIT PATTERN BY SEW PONY


Depois de quase um mês de “férias” estou de volta com um projecto incrível: um fato de banho verdadeiro!
After “abandoning” this blog for almost a month I'm back with an great summer project: a swimsuit!

 

Quando a minha amiga Suz, do blog australiano Sew Pony, me enviou um mail para me perguntar se gostaria de fazer parte do tour de apresentação do seu novo molde – o Cosi Swimsuit – nem hesitei e respondi-lhe imediatamente que sim. Nunca tinha costurado com lycra mas sabia que o molde e as instruções da Suz só poderiam ser impecáveis, por isso esta era a minha grande oportunidade para me aventurar no mundo dos tecidos elásticos. Como a minha máquina de costura é muito antiga (de 1950!) e sei que ela não gosta muito de tecidos modernos, resolvi pedir a uma costureira profissional para costurar o fato de banho na sua máquina. Assim, não só tive a oportunidade de usar pela primeira vez uma corta-e-cose (e que medo mete aquela lâmina?!), como consegui algumas dicas extra (embora as instruções impecáveis da Suz sejam mais do que suficientes).
O molde do Cosi tem uma série de opções mas, desta vez, optei pela mais simples: fato de banho inteiro totalmente forrado. Espero ter tempo, ainda este verão, de experimentar mais uma ou duas versões. São todas tão giras!

A couple of months ago when my friend Suz, from the Australian blog Sew Pony, asked me if I would like to sew her new patternThe Cosi Swimsuit -  I did not hesitate and immediately said yes. I had never sewn with lycra but knew that her pattern and instructions could only be perfect, so this was my chance to venture into the world of stretchy fabrics. As my sewing machine is very old (from around 1950!) and I know it does not deal very well with stretchy modern fabrics, I decided to ask a professional seamstress if I could use her modern sewing machine and serger. This way, not only I had the opportunity of sewing with a professional serger for the first time (I still get cold feet when I think about that evil small blade!), but I was also lucky enough to get some extra tips (although Suz’s clean instructions are more than enough to put together a beautiful swimsuit). The Cosi Swimsuit Pattern comes with lots of options (both for one and two pieces), but, as usually, I chose for the simplest one: a fully lined one piece swimsuit. I just hope I have time, later this summer, to try one or two more versions. They are all so cute!

 

Em Portugal é dificílimo arranjar lycras de fantasia (tirando aquelas dos fatos de ginástica que não são propriamente o meu género…) por isso acabei por comprar uma lycra azul lisa numa loja da Parede chamada Os Bispos.
Como estava a fazer a versão mais simples com tecido liso achei que tinha que juntar um ou dois detalhes para que o fato de banho fosse aprovado pela minha filha. Acabei por usar um ponto zigzag especial (três pontos para um lado, três pontos para outro formando um zigzag muito largo) com linha branca contrastante no remate do elástico das pernas e do peito e, já depois de ter terminado o fato de banho, juntei umas contas às fitas do pescoço.
In Portugal it is very difficult to find lycra. Almost all stores only carry solid colors so I ended up buying a nice solid blue lycra at my local shop. Since I was sewing the simplest version with plain fabric I thought I had to add one or two details to the swimsuit so my daughter Teresa would find it nice enough for her to wear it... I ended up using a special zigzag stitch (three stitches to one size, three stitches to another forming a very long zigzag) with contrasting white thread to finish the top and legs openings and, after I had finished sewing the swimsuit, I decided to add a couple of white beads at the end of each shoulder strap.

 
 

O fato de banho foi um sucesso! E foi imediatamente posto à prova na piscina cá de casa.
The swimsuit was a complete success and was immediately put to the test in our swimming pool. So much fun!




Este é um projecto perfeito para o verão! E a realidade é que não é necessário ter uma corta-e-cose para fazer um fato de banho destes pois qualquer máquina de costura actual tem um ponto especial para coser tecidos elásticos. As instruções e dicas da Suz são simples e claras – tal como eu previra – e o fato de banho não poderia assentar melhor.
O molde pode ser comprado na loja on-line da Sew Pony (não se esqueçam de ver também seus os outros moldes) e, até 18 de Julho, podem aproveitar o desconto de 15% usando o código COSITOUR15.
This is a perfect summer sewing project! And the truth is that it is not necessary to have a serger to sew a bathing suit because any modern sewing machine has a special stitch for sewing with stretch fabrics. As always, Suz’s instructions and tips are spot on, simple and straightforward - just as I predicted - and the fitting of this swimsuit is perfect.
Now head over Sew Pony on-line shop (do not forget to check all other patterns as they are all gorgeous) and enjoy a 15% discount on the Cosi Swimsuit Pattern using the code COSITOUR15 until July 18.

22 comentários:

  1. Oh Marta, ficou tão giro!!
    Eu ainda estou a arranjar coragem para fazer o meu :) É mesmo um pesadelo arranjar tecidos de fato de banho em Lisboa - a cor é girissíma e parece que o tamanho ficou mesmo bom.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Muito obrigada Sofia! Com a corta-e-cose até foi bastante fácil fazer as costuras mas aplicar o elastico... Só consegui ´na terceira tentativa!
      Mas como tu já tens mais experiência com malhas vais ver que te safas lindamente!
      Os Bispos têm licras lisas com cores incriveis (também comprei lá um folho para fato de banho que irias adorar!) mas é só. De resto só aqueles prints inacreditaveis cheios de brilhantes com que se fazem os fatos das ginastas...

      Eliminar
  2. Such fantastic photos Marta! and a lovely Cosi. I'm interested to know if you will be converted to sewing with a serger now you have tried it? ;)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Thanks Renee!
      And yes, I think I will have to think about buying a serger. It was a great experience to sew with professional sewing machines!

      Eliminar
  3. What an amazing job you did Marta for your first foray into knits!!! So professional. I love the top stitching and the beads. Teresa looks perfect!!! thank you so much xx

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Thanks Suz! Thank you so much for making me start sewing with lycra! I have to confess that I already made a couple of garments with knits but haven't blog about it yet. Now I need to find a nice serger or sewing machine that, unlike my old one, likes sewing with stretchy fabrics...

      Eliminar
  4. Love the color and fit! Beads are a great idea! A serger is on my wishlist too. Gorgeous pictures!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Thank you Emily!
      I was really amazed with the fit. Suz has made such a great job!

      Eliminar
  5. I love the suit, Marta! The color is gorgeous! i should trie the fancy stitches my machine has more often. Great job! the pics are fu too!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. I felt in love with the color at the fabric shop! And since I can't find nice printed lycra in my local shops I thought this solid color would have to do...
      I wanted to finished the top and leg openings with regular zigzag in contrasting thread but the seamstress told me to try a fancier stitch and I am so pleased with the result!
      I think I might have to start looking for a new machine... But I will keep my beloved vintage machine too, of course!

      Eliminar
  6. Oh, I love this color! Prints aren't always better, a good solid like this one sometimes brings out the pattern more, I think. Lovely!

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Perfeito, Marta! A cor é lindíssima e o pormenor das contas foi uma tirada de génio!! Acho que fazes bem em aventurar-te numa máquina nova (com zig zag e pontos stretch) e numa corta-e-cose mas sim, nunca te desfaças dessa bonita "oldie" que tens aí. ;)

    ResponderEliminar
  8. I love it, Marta! The beads are such a great addition and I love the special zigzag stitch that you chose. And wow, such a perfect fit! Fantastic!

    ResponderEliminar
  9. Muito bom!! Está mais que perfeito!! Adoro as contas, o zigzag resultou mesmo muito bem e a cor é fantástica! :)

    ResponderEliminar
  10. Oh this is so beautiful. I love the solid blue. And did I read "Our swimmingpool"? When can I come visit you? Just kiddin! Kind of... (Really: if you ever need someone to look after your house, count me in *smile*)

    ResponderEliminar
  11. Thanks Annika!
    Yes, this is our garden. My father always says we don't live in a real house but in a holiday house! :) And we are lucky enough to go to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world by foot!

    ResponderEliminar
  12. Oh Love it Marta! Bids add a fun factor to this gorgeous swimsuit, love it!

    ResponderEliminar
  13. Ficou lindo Marta! Adoro o detalhe da costura e das contas! Parabéns! :-)
    beijocas grandes

    ResponderEliminar
  14. I love the swim suit you have made Marta. The colour is perfect on her, and what professional results. I am very impressed!

    ResponderEliminar
  15. Está fantástico Marta. Acreditas que a semana passada estive nos bispos a espreitar as licras precisamente a pensar neste molde, mas não comprei porque tive receio de "dar para o torto".
    Convenceste-me, agora vou ter que lá voltar :-)

    ResponderEliminar
  16. Está lindo! Que tipo de linha usou para costurar?

    ResponderEliminar